Thursday, June 11, 2009

My Response To My Brave, Anonymous Critic

If you've kept up with the "Comments" section of Prevailing Winds, you'll remember that my harshest critic -- or, at least, the harshest of those who bother writing -- is a gentleman so afraid of . . . something . . . that he calls himself "Dontbia Nass." I've reprinted below my response to his latest harangue, which you can read in the Comments section, and which comes from my attack on Kinism and other racial superiority/pro-Confederate theologies. Because comments are public, I'm highlighting my response to Nass, which will make more sense once you've waded through his criticisms of my two recent posts. And, Nass, you surely recall that I said upfront that Wilson condemns Kinists (me, I'd go for something stronger than "vainglorious," but it's clear he doesn't like them), and I'm sure you don't really take literally the (false) axiom of "saved by race, not by grace," which I used as hyperbole to introduce the grotesque racism of the Kinist crowd, as well as the more refined, gentleman-like racial separatism of the Neo-Confederates.

My response to Nass' comment:

". . . You've asked me to confirm, verify, prove, or otherwise demonstrate why I believe that the filth of Kinism -- and it is filthy -- has filtered into some of Reformed/Reconstructionist theology, both here and elsewhere. I will, then, devote as much time as I can to the subject, demonstrating that there is a coziness with, if not undiscerning acceptance of, ideas and people whose message is an insult to the Gospel -- and that Wilson is guilty of some of that. For the record, I don't believe that Wilson is a racist; I've made this point a zillion times. I believe he is something even worse: A man who practices and preaches an insouciance toward racial sensitivity and acts of bigotry that is wholly at odds with the preaching and living out of the Gospel. To be blunt: He lacks consideration of how his words (actions, affiliations, etc.) affect those outside of the Church who then wrongly assume that careless bigotry is a hallmark of Spirit-filled living. To be more blunt: His gleeful way of offering up unnecessary offense and shameful skylarking sullies the Gospel. Publishing an apologetic for snottiness, "The Serrated Edge," doesn't legitimize it. So, there's the thesis, Nass, and there's more, much more, to come." (end of comment response)

So, for those who didn't get it the first time: Wilson is not a Kinist. They dislike his work and so do I. I also don't think he's a racist. I do, however, think it's shameful that he doesn't eliminate from his world, as sources and as companions, those who are. I think it's shameful to deliberately offend with offenses not intrinsic to the Gospel. And I would think that an earnest desire to evangelize the community (which, granted, is not something Wilson or his ministries are known for) would absolutely preclude uncritical, non-confrontational fellowship with people and ideas that are racist, exclusionist, bigoted and otherwise wrong. If his involvement with such were evangelistic -- a ministry to those swimming in the waters of Kinist thought, not fellowship with them -- I'd be thrilled.

And, as a side note, Nass suggests I ask Voddie Baucham, a Black Calvinist pastor, about how he sees Wilson. Funny you should ask. New St. Andrews' invited Baucham to speak at its graduation this year; I wrote an impassioned email to Baucham asking that he reconsider his acceptance, given the racial insensitivity and outright bigotry I've seen from the Kirk. I didn't get an answer, and I assumed he spoke. Believe me, Nass, I spend a lot of time trying to establish dialogue with opponents, and even the ones who use their real names don't seem to want to talk with me. I'll grant that you'll suggest it's because I'm an abrasive, obnoxious, screeching feminist; I'll just assume that they're really, really, busy -- or they sense that this stuff is indefensible. So please don't think that I'm unwilling to engage with my critics, and be patient as I respond to the charges you've made against me.

Last thing: Yeah, I believe Wilson to be a Christian. That's kinda why all this matters to me . . .

2 comments:

Dontbia Nass said...

Thanks for the clarification, Keely. I guess your main problem with Wilson is that he's not intolerant enough, that he needs a message of exclusion, and that he needs to oppose diversity. Maybe you can tap into some TARP money to get a re-education camp set up in your neck of the woods to help folks like Wilson learn to see the light.

Seriously, there is not a Christian minister worthy of the name either inside the CREC or outside who would take the case you make against Wilson in this blog post seriously. There's nothing to grab onto. It's all innuendo. You can't condemn a man for giving you bad vibes. And Voddie Baucham's willingness to cooperate with Doug Wilson speaks volumes. There's a guy who is descended from slaves -- we can all thank his grandfather for our nice cotton shirts. And he just acted as a character reference for Doug Wilson. Maybe Rev. Baucham could teach you a few things about prejudice and intolerance.

Daniel Foucachon said...

Yes, Dr. Baucham did speak at NSA's commencement. If you would like to hear what he said, the video is streamed here:

www.foucachon.com/nsa_graduation_09/

-Daniel